Friday, March 11, 2011

Blog Post 8

"This is How we Dream" was a really cool concept of incremental change vs. fundamental change, and how one should not only consume the multimedia but also compose and produce the multimedia used, for the purpose of bettering the future of media and how it's used in the educational world. I like how he mentioned we should "share freely" the things we compose and create as to add to (and not just leave at a stand still) the information and availability of the tools that are out there. Thanks to this class, I believe I will be prepared to write with multimedia and teach my students how to do this as well!
When watching "EDM 310 for Dummies" and "The Chipper Series" I was inspired to possibly make a video of "what not to do's" for this class. I realize that's kind've what "Chipper" did but I was thinking more along the lines of listing out deliberately what-to-do's and what-not-to-do's that way "dummies" like me that need more self-explanitory techniques can see it more blantantly and deliberately as opposed to an "actress" who we know is brilliant and it's more relatable and obvious instead of just comical. And maybe this can be watched in the middle of the semester as opposed to the beginning that way they understand it more and know more about the topics, projects, and assignments, because when I watched "chipper" at the beginning of the semester I just thought it was a funny video and didn't take it seriously. I also didn't know the 1st thing about edm 310 and what it was entailed.
The "Learn to Change, Change to Learn" video was beautiful. The title alone is inspirational and moving and mad me think to myself, "I must 'change' in order to properly and effectively 'learn'!" Technology is not something that we can control because it will continue to grow and develop a new environment and we just have to go with it! It's about community and building relationships, not just about technology. It's about connectivity and easy access, not just about information and learning. It's so much more!!! I love and totally agree with the arguments made in this video! Thanks Christie Odom!
I LOVED "Secret Powers of Time" not only because of the amazing creativity and artistry, but also because of the fabulous points brought up in this video. It went a lot deeper than I thought it would and maybe even went over my head a bit, lol. I liked this video because it wasn't only about education and technology, but also about spending time with family, friends and even sleeping more! My favorite point brought up in this message was "understand your own time perspective and that of others." The other video "The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us," was just as cool! The concept of higher incentives lead to worse performance in the cognitive area. When a task gets more complicated, when it requires creative thinking, money as a reward did not work! I believe this, because rewards aren't necessarily how/what I work for (I'm probably one of a very few select group that is this way; I can't explain myself). These videos both explained the affect of growth in people's education and their drive for success in different ways. The 1st one was saying motivate with love, passion and family and the 2nd one was saying, motivate with free will and allow people to self-direct and self-control for healthier more positive outcomes! I totally agree and I believe I can master both of these techniques because I feel like I already live this way for the most part. Of course I'm far from perfect and will always be inclined to constructive criticism, change, growth and constant renewel of myself to better my students learning environment! Both of these videos also stressed the EXUBERANT IMPORTANCE of time and how everyone should strive for managing it properly. The saying "time is on your side" has never sounded so sweet to my ears! Hence the clock : )

2 comments:

  1. Hey Raley!
    I enjoyed reading your post! After watching "EDM 310 for Dummies" and "The Chipper Series", I too wanted to make a video. I like your idea about a video going beyond what was discussed in these, I think you should do it! I think creativity is important and should be included in all classrooms. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raley,
    This is good, but I think it could be a lot better! For one, make sure you add links to the videos you watched. You have people looking at your blog that don't know what you are referring too. Organize it better with a heading for each video and separate the post out. Keep it up though and it'll get better!
    Amberly Elmore

    ReplyDelete