Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Blog Post 9

Mr. McClung's "what I've Learned This Year" really hit home with me. Unlike a lot of education majors that I am taking classes with, I have yet to Student teach so the only teaching experience I have is teaching dance and babysitting (not much to go by). So, with this, I often get discouraged because I feel inadequate at times and want to throw in the towel. But one part in his post made me feel better... It was the 2nd paragraph under "Be Flexible" and it basically said 'get over the perfectionism because that will never make it and don't beat yourself up over imperfect lessons or students, etc. All you can do is try your absolute best and "do it with a smile on your face." This is something that I always do and consider myself to be a pro at so after reading Mr. McClung's post, I believe I will make it through my first year of teaching with really hard work and a smile on my face. :D

3 comments:

  1. Raley,

    Don't throw in the towel just yet! Most everyone is worried about their first year of teaching whether they are willing to admit it or not. I know I am terrified to get in front of those kids and mess up, but you know we just have to put a smile on our face and dive head first. I have done observation and tutored troughout grade school and high school but thats the extent of my experience. McClung made a great point about geting over the idea of the perfect lesson. Yes as educators we strive for that perfect lesson but what is more important is that our students are learning. Keep you head up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Raley! I agree, I think we are all terrified of that first day as a teacher. I, like you have not done any student teaching yet either. I thought Mr. McClungs words were comforting because we all know that we are not alone in these feelings. It was GREAT to hear from a "new" teacher because I felt I could touch base with him easier. I'm sure you'l' do great as a teacher as long as your hearts in it, and after all....who signs up for this career for any other reason? Good Luck with school and your upcoming career! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Raley,

    I think many teachers have the same issue as you. Being perfect is impossible, so don't stress! We all have our own way of doing things and your students will too. Just be flexible and your students will defiantly benefit from that.

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete